The goal of the Aboriginal Health Education Program is to encourage Healthy Lifestyle choices for Aboriginal People. Lifestyle choices relate to all age groups and include topics such as chronic disease, eating habits, exercise, parenting, child safety, smoking cessation, and other related issues.
There are two main areas of focus to the program. The first is the Healthy Eating / Active Living as it relates to chronic disease management and prevention, particularly of diabetes. The other area of focus is smoking, its effects and impacts on health, particularly for pregnant females.
Some of the services offered by the program are:
- Groups and presentations regarding healthy lifestyle choices
- Community kitchens (in partnership with the nutrition program)
- School Breakfast Program
- One on one consultations regarding healthy eating and exercise planning for individuals with diabetes or any other chronic disease
- Child safety programs, including car seat installation
- Lifeskills / parenting groups
- Smoking cessation support